Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 02:12:55 -0700
From:      "Jason Nordwick" <nordwick@xcf.berkeley.edu>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A few ports/pkg_* questions.

After using FreeBSD for a while and loving the ports collections, I had a
few questions why things are done the way they are:

1) Why is /usr/ports so flat?  It is basically
/usr/ports/<category>/<program>.  This was fine when the number was low, but
now after a few thousand, this is getting kinda hard to lookat.  Instead of
having all /usr/ports/x11-{,clocks,fm,fonts,toolkits,wm} why is it not
/usr/ports/x11/{,clocks,fm,fonts,toolkits,wm} ?   It is just to make the
Makefiles simplier?

2) Why not links? (maybe there are and I just dont see them, this is a
strong possibility).  It seems that port can be in more than one category.

3) Has anybody ever thought of installing a port in is own directory and
then linking them into the proper place?

4) more complete (dare I say it... robu..., ack) package tool.  For
operation like determining what file belongs to what, and some other common
tasks I hear people talk about.

5) redoing the pkg stuff to have more complex information.  I can't remember
my wishlist I used to have (especially after helping do a few ports), but I
can remember one: When a package/port has other ports that it could take
advantage of asking to build them with an explanation of why.  I know almost
all scenarios could be done with a comprehensive install script, but once
more than a few ports need something like that it would seem to be worth
adding to the package stuff.  Also, then you could register a script to be
run when that other port is deinstalled (so it could change a config file
somethere and such).  Or maybe it could watch for a port to be installed to
take advantage of.  Im sure others have ideas.

Just wondering if any of these have ever been talked about, sorry for my
ignorance,

Jay
--
4.4 > 98