Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2007 20:45:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ensel Sharon <user@dhp.com>
To:        "Tobias P. Santos" <tobias@netconsultoria.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lowercase 'm' with dummynet rate limiting ?  Known issue ?

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Tobias P. Santos wrote:

> Ensel Sharon escreveu:
> [...]
> > ipfw pipe 1 config bw 10mbit/s
> >
> > Oops.  After about 5 minutes, the prompt returns, so it's not like a
> > normal accidental-ipfw-lockout (when those happen you never see the prompt
> > again).  But it might as well be, because that was the last response I got
> > out of that system - can't ping it, can't connect, and both ssh sessions
> > timed out trying to get a prompt back.
> >
> > So what did I do wrong ?  I see that the man page calls for a uppercase M
> > (10Mbits/s) whereas I typed a lowercase 'm'.  Was that the problem ?  Or
> > was I supposed to remove the first pipe completely before reissuing the
> > 'ipfw pipe 1 config' command again ?
> >
> > Any idea why that command took it off line ?
>
> Similar issue:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-November/012566.html

Ahh... so unless I am missing something, it would appear that when you put
a lowercase-m in place, it is just skipped, and:

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 10mbit/s

becomes:

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 10bit/s

Does that look like an accurate interpretation of what is happening ?

So here's a follow-up question:

I now have a (remote) system that is now set to 10bit/s rate limiting
... now that is awfully slow, but are there any conceivable tcp/ip
settings that I could apply on a local system here that would allow me to
ssh into it ?  As it stands now, I cannot ssh into it - the session times
out.  Any ideas ?

All I need to do is login and "ipfw delete ..."  :)