Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:05:12 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD vs Windows 2000 "Advanced" Server

Hi folks,

The next time someone says Windows is a better platform for running Java
than FreeBSD is, consider this.

The test class at the bottom of this message can fire about 1,800 [1]
threads on my FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT box, with the native jdk-1.4.1.  My
box is a PIII with 1G of RAM.

The same class on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server with the Sun jdk-1.4.1
(and 1.4.2) can't fire more than about 130 threads.  This is a dual-Xeon
with 4G of RAM.

Maybe there's some magic you can fiddle in the registry that tells the
lame OS to allow a process to fire more threads.  But I couldn't find it
in 4 hours of searching on Microsoft and Google.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] Interestingly enough, this doesn't seem to be limited by the
    kern.threads.max_threads_per_proc sysctl.