Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 21:05:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, julian@whistle.com, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> > If a device is removed from a chroot environment, it should be impossible
> > to recreate it.
> >
> > The reasoning should be obvious.
>
> Why not just control permissions on mknod?

I think Julian should discuss his security model before we dive into
this, but I can't see a circumstance where it would be legitimate to
create a device with mknod, yet not possible to create it with the
link(2) system call instead, using the template devfs.  It seems to
me that mknod is redundant (but mkfifo isn't).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.