Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:03:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window manager question

Mr. K. <bsd@inbox.org> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 >> For the above reasons (and because of "good practice"), I never
 >> change root's login shell.  Instead, I use ``su -m'' (as a
 >> normal user) to become root, which causes my root shell to be
 >> the same as my normal user shell (which happens to be zsh).
 >> In fact, my ``su'' is an alias for ``su -m''.
 >>
 > I just tried the su -m thing, and the strangest thing happened when I
 > typed "pine", I got all my user messages, plus all the root messages
 > combined.  Is there any way to avoid this, or should I make sure I only
 > check mail when doing a normal su?

I'd recommend not to read mail as root (I never do that).
Instead, put an alias into /etc/aliases that forwards root's
mail to all admins (or just to yourself if it's a private
box).

When you use ``su -m'', the environment variables are not
modified (see the su(1) manpage), including $USER, $LOGNAME,
$HOME, $MAIL...  I guess this has confused your mail client.

(As a simple precaution against such confusion, I modify some
environment variables in my .zshrc if $EUID == 0.)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)