Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:50:01 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@phoenix.dmnstech.net>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make menuconfig' or how WITH_* can be good for you [patch]

--==_Exmh_1729915834P

> That's what I've done.
>
> > Actually, I don't see the need to add another file for "options".
> > Why not use the port Makefile for it?

Hmm. Actually, if you're only trying to avoid having to type in options on the
command line every time you (re)build the package, I don't see the need for
this at all.

Why not use Makefile.local instead? Here's one of mine from mplayer:

WITH_DVD=       yes
WITH_GUI=       yes
WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=   yes
WITH_SVGALIB=   yes
WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=  yes

Now I can just 'portupgrade' with impunity.

> > Provide a hook for portupgrade to see the options chosen.

Or use Makefile.local instead.

Then it's completely transparent to both the user and portupgrade, because
it's carefully frobbed into the Ports makefile system...

> > No.  Just make menuconfig default except when BATCH or
> > PARALLEL_PACKAGE_BUILDING defined.
>
> That is OK.

Please, please, do not, at least not without providing a global switch so that
they can be disabled across the board.

Sheesh. Next we'll have a menuconfig-kernel options interface a la Ded Rhat...

:)

> > > - The present implementation lose the user's settings when the menuconfig
> > >   target is restarted.  If the target was forced to be started, this would be
> > >   a lot more annoying, and would have to be dealt with (which could get hairy
> > >   fast.)
> >
> > Umm.  I think it best to keep selected options between builds
> > except if ${WRKDIR} is cleaned.
>
> I think it best to keep the options even if WRKDIR is cleaned; doing a clean
> rebuild of a port does not mean that you want to lose the options for it.  Or
> at least it does not mean that for me.

*cough*

Sounds to me like what you're after is pretty much like what you get from using 'Makefile.local'? ;-)

I understand that the RO FS is a requirement which is somewhat awkward to work around, but doesn't it seem tantalising that Makefile.local otherwise does everything that you want and without popping up irritating semi-GUI dialogs?

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_1729915834P

--==_Exmh_1729915834P--