Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 98 14:37:10 PST
From:      rdm@cfcl.com (Rich Morin)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rdm@cfcl.com
Subject:   disk setup questions

Dear people-

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a 200 MHz Pentium system with 64 MB of RAM
and an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.  I have gotten "media error" several times
on a couple of Micropolis 9 GB (MICROP 1991-27) disk drives.  So, I ran
scsiformat on both drives, with no reported errors.  I then used /stand/
sysinstall to set up each drive as a single "C" partition.  Finally, I
tried to newfs the drives (e.g., "newfs -m 5 /dev/rsd3c").

Both drives failed this procedure, hanging the machine (or at least the
SCSI bus) in the process.  Specifically, newfs printed out a series of
perhaps hals a dozen super-block numbers, then hung.  I was able to ping
the machine, but not to rlogin into it.

Help?

Yours, Rich Morin

P.S.  I *know* I should install 2.2.5, but I'm waiting for a lull in
      my other activities before I do this...