Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Lapsley <david@melbourneit.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Programming

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, David Lapsley wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of setting up an ATM Research and Development
> testbed network consisting of high-end PCs running FreeBSD connected to each
> other via ATM interfaces. I was wondering if there is a FreeBSD group working
> on an ATM API for FreeBSD, and if so how I could go about joining and
> contributing to the devlopment of the API.

There are a couple of groups with ATM interfaces in progress.  From an
older msg by Mark Tingley:

the first is from the The Applied Research Lab (ARL) of Washington
University and the ATOMIC-2 Project at USC/ISI
(http://www.arl.wustl.edu/arl) and the files can be downloaded from
ftp://dworkin.wustl.edu/dist/bsd/...

the second stack is from the Advanced Networking Group at Network
Computing Services, Inc, (formerly the Minnesota Supercomputer Center,
Inc.) web and downloading instructions are at http://www.msci.magic.net/.

you may be interested in subscribing to the freebsd-atm mailing list, by:

$ echo "subscribe freebsd-atm" | mail majordomo@freebsd.org

> I am also working on my own transport protocol (as part of my PhD thesis)
> that routes packets between the (currently ethernet) interfaces of a
> FreeBSD machine using explicit rate feedback to the sources to tell them what
> rate to transmit it(similar in concept to the ATM Forum's ABR standard).
> I understand that Linux has a group that is working on a specially optimized
> kernel for use in routing machines, and I was wondering if there is a similar
> FreeBSD group.

Check with the ATM mailing list.