Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 17:33:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gif tunnel woes

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

> 	hello, regarding to the note on:
>

> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+2538+/usr/
> local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-net/20010506.freebsd-net

	First off thanks a million for the response.

>the symptom is repeatable.  however, it seems to me that the multi
>destination mode is poorly documented, and needs certain (strange)
>configuration to work properly.  i have no idea how can it be useful.

	The reason I was experimenting in it was because using
	bi-directional gif tunnels, the number of them has to be staticlly
	compiled in ther kernel and has no way of growing the actual
	number of gif interfaces dynamically.

	So my options were to build N number of gif interfaces for every
	machine, or use nos-tun.  The multi-destination tunnels could have
	been a work around...if they would have worked right.

>the destination tunnel gateway address is taken from rt_gateway,
>so i guess you'd need to set routing table like this:
>
>% route add -inet 192.168.10.0 24.27.51.59
>% route change -inet 192.168.10.0 24.27.51.59 -ifp gif0
>
>which seems very counter-intuitive to me (NOTE: i did not test this).
>

>my preference is to dropp support for multi-destination mode
>from gif(4), as the multi-destination behavior is violating network
>layering (rt_gateway is in inner header, and gif(4) multi-destination
> mode	uses it to determinte outer header).

	Which would be fine.  It would be nice to have a way to grow these
	gif tunnels on the fly, then nos-tun could be strapped as well.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"