Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:45:32 +0200
From:      G VM <drums_gvm@hotmail.com>
To:        <alex@nirgal.de>, <got.andras@deployis.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD DomU: Upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0

> From: alex@nirgal.de
> To: got.andras@deployis.eu
> Date: Tue=2C 20 Jul 2010 13:31:48 +0200
> CC: freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD DomU: Upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0
>=20
> Hello=2C
>=20
> Am 20.07.2010 um 12:52 schrieb G=F3t Andr=E1s:
>=20
> > How's your domU config file for xen?
>=20
> Up until 7.2 i have used the GENERIC Kernel and never built one of my =20
> own=2C because there was no need. But as 7.3 or 8.0 will not boot up =20
> with their GENERIC Kernels (tested with the Live-DVD=2C error described =
=20
> in my first mail)=2C i think i have to built a custom kernel.
>=20
> I plan to use the config from
>=20
>    /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/XEN
>=20
> You can find it there:
>=20
>    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/conf/XEN?rev=3D1.9.=
2.1=3Bcontent-type=3Dtext%2Fplain=3Bonly_with_tag=3DRELENG_8_0
>=20
> Note: i just want to use hvm-virtualization=2C paravirtualization is not =
=20
> necessary.
>=20
> Alex_______________________________________________

I had/have the exact same issue. I always used hvm with FreeBSD 7.2
>From the moment I upgraded to 7.3 or 8.0=2C I get a kernel panic.

Even the install cd does not boot for 7.3 or 8.0.

I did not fixed this yet. I would think that this is happening since there =
is some virtual stuff included in the kernel by default now and this was no=
t there in 7.2
Maybe you can just disable hvm or something in the kernel config. As IIRC w=
ith HVM the OS is not aware that it is virtualised.

Please let me know if you find a solution!

Greetings!
 		 	   		  =