Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:40:54 -0600
From:      Peter Schultz <pmes@speakeasy.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI Error on FreeBSD-CURRENT

Nate Lawson wrote:

 > On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Peter Schultz wrote:
 >
 > >ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed, E_AML_UNINITIALIZED_LOCAL
 > >can't fetch resources for \\_SB_.PCI0.FDC0 - AE_AML_UNINITIALIZED_LOCAL
 > >
 > >I have a Tyan S1834 and see the above error during boot.  I'm not
 > >sure if this is such a big problem but it would be nice to eliminate
 > >the error.
 >

 > It means there's a syntax error in your asl (in particular, a
 > reference of a variable without declaration).  You could go through
 > the iasl dance to fix it or just disable acpi (see INSTALL.TXT for how
 > to do this).
 >
 > It looks like you won't be able to use your floppy drive until you use
 > a workaround.

Luckily my floppy drive works regardless of the error message.  That's
why I wonder about what exactly the error message is saying.  I'm not
sure if it's absolutely harmless, or if it's hinting at some bigger problem.

One thing to note is that I'm not able to use my USB mouse when I'm
using an SMP kernel.  I've noticed that Josef Karthauser is working on
busdma for USB.  Hopefully this will correct my USB SMP issue.

With SMP I also have a hang.  A shutdown or restart will get stuck
waiting for vnlru to stop, or sometimes it will get down to the ACPI
prompt.  If I hit the power button at that point it will continue.

Is this possibly some kind of ACPI SMP timing issue?

Pete...