Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 02:34:36 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: News Server

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Narvi wrote:

> [cc: list trimmed. It's a stupid message anyways]
>
> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > I don't really see the need, people can pick it up someplace
> > > and if they don't want it they can say no.
> >
> > Yeah, but Joel will send out rmgroup messages to all and sundry for
> > anything which doesn't meet his (prior) approval.
> >

> Can I sell you a bad idea? A really bad idea that just might work?
>
> 	Include a patch on www.freebsd.org for the news system
> 	(inn, etc.) that disables group operations for freebsd.*
> 	with a message that it is needed if you want to have the feed.

First off, haven't got a clue who this Joel guy is, but I just went
through the INN control.ctl file from the most -current source tree, and,
by default, except for special circumstances, rmgroup's are just logged,
but not acted upon...

The only rmgroup's honor'd in the 'top 8 hierarchies', which consist of:

comp, misc, news, sci, soc, talk, rec, humanities

are those issued by group-admin@isc.org ...

This is all default for INN 2.x ... so creating and propogating a
freebsd.* hierarchy would be doable (I'd be willing to carry/propogate it)
and for those running *at least* newer INN servers, this Joel guy would
have no power...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org