Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:05:46 +0000
From:      Anton Bobrov <anton.bobrov@sun.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads in FreeBSD

Terry,

1:1 model was available for quite some time now
with Solaris. there is /usr/lib/lwp folder with
alternate libs. in Solaris 9 those libs are now
primary, not alternate. i'm not sure if we are
shipping the Solaris 9 release with old libs
somewhere there as well but they are still in
the source code as an old libthread. if you have
Solaris 8 'community source code' you can have a
look for yourself:

1:1 [ new one ]

/osnet_volume/usr/src/lib/liblwp*

M:N [ old one ]

/osnet_volume/usr/src/lib/libthread*

there is no scheduler activations in Solaris now,
that 'disappeared' in Solaris 8 with introduction
of alternate [ new one ] libthread and the model is
really 1:1 model. again you can look for yourself
in the folders i mentioned above. there still some
legacy code [ scheduler activations ] here and there
used for compatibility with previous releases.

ta,
Anton.