Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:54:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        andreas@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What do you think of the new 3COM cards with X-Jack ?

In message: <20030909180947.GA23478@titan.klemm.apsfilter.org>
            Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org> writes:
: Another question: I noticed on the FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List,
: that this eBay card is supported under FreeBSD 5.1
:
: 	3Com 3CXFE575CT
:
: Could somebody other confirm, if it runs under -current ?
: And perhaps 4.8-stable as well ?

The 575 is a Cardbus card.  My BT and CT variants work (and my
friend's xjack based one also works, but I forget if he has a BT or a
CT).  However, cardbus is a no go on 4.x (although I have heard rumors
of people porting the 16-bit part of NEWCARD to -stable).  I have used
these cards extensively in the past, but do so less extensively now
due to changes in the laptop I carry every day (my FIVA has a builtin
nic, and has issues with cardbus I've not been able to track down).

It has been a few weeks since I've done a complete regression test on
these cards.  In that time I've seen people complaining about problems
they are having some issue or another.

: On eBay I could get two of these but with a HP label on it,
: therefore the cards are cheaper (~ $30 ...).
: They are described as:
: 	Manufacturer: 3Com
: 	Model: 3CXFE575CT (3Com); F1626B (HP)
:
: Do you know if these HP (labeled) 3Com cards are really 3Coms
: with no ill side effects and if the price is o.k. ?
:
: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045854871&category=21902&rd=1

I'm pretty sure that they will work, but it is hard to know for sure.
$30 for a NIC seems a little expensive.  Many of the early IBM
EtherJet cards go for about $10 in the US with dongles.

Warner