Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:45:37 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Matt Simerson <matt@michweb.net>
Cc:        up@3.am, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC-7896 flakyness

Matt Simerson <matt@michweb.net> wrote:

> For instance, you must always have the first and last devices in a SCSI
> chain terminated. What type of termination do you have set up on the
> Adaptec card? From your sketchy diagram, I'll guess you've got no
> termination set up on the card and are use the drive at SCSI ID 2 as the
> first device. This will be problematic.

     Also, LVD drives have no provision for on-drive termination (at
least, none that I've heard of, and I know that the IBM 9ES 9.1GB
drives, don't -- I've got a couple).  You've got to explicitly add a
terminator to the end of the LVD cable.

[ In the case of the IBM 9ES drive, the wide SE version has a
  "termination" jumper.  In the LVD version, the jumper that was used
  for termination, on the wide SE version, is used to switch between
  wide SE and LVD modes.  For more details, see the IBM support docs at
  their web site. ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.