Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:04:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel.conf

Tobias Roth wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hey
>
> I get stuff like this when booting:
>
> > config> di psm0
> > config> di sio1
> > No such device: sio1
> > Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> > config> di sio0
> > No such device: sio0
> > Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>
> and so on for a few other devices.
>
> Now I have none of those devices in my kernel, not even psm0.
> Can I simply delete /boot/kernel.conf and will I still be able to boot
> without it?
> And btw, how did this stuff get into kernel.conf?

You configured your kernel on bootup (probably with the visual userconfig,
unless you like typing more than most) and disabled several devices that
you didn't have.

Then, when you built a new kernel, the make install (wisely!) didn't zap
your kernel.conf.

/boot/kernel.conf can safely be deleted--it isn't required to boot.  The
worst that can happen is you will have left a conflict somewhere, in which
case you'll just have to recnofigure your kernel.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2