Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:14:53 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>,  freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: merging commiter headers

On 14-8-2015 07:58, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> I've just upgraded three machines from 10.1 to 10.2. Congratulations
> on the release...
>
> This was one of the worst upgrade experiences in my FreeBSD history,
> going back to 4.0 days. I used freebsd-update but I was absolutely
> swamped with merging the svn (nee cvs) headers in roughly 80 files.
>
> <<<<<<< current version # $FreeBSD:
> release/10.0.0/etc/periodic/security/800.loginfail 254974 2013-08-27
> 21:20:28Z jlh $ ======= # $FreeBSD:
> releng/10.2/etc/periodic/security/800.loginfail 263661 2014-03-23
> 12:58:48Z brueffer $
>

> Let's leave aside why users would care what commit number, date or
> user last touched this file. Let's assume that you don't need a
> header to tell you the path of the file you are looking at. And let's
> leave aside why release is now releng (are we saving bytes?). And
> let's leave aside why the diff shows an upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2
> when actually this was from 10.1 to 10.2.
>
> Can't some merge tool inside freebsd-update just sort this out for
> me? Please? Not only does it take over 45 minutes to go through all
> those files, but I feel sure I missed something.

For me the majore reason to go back to
  - just plain STABLE installs
  - run mergemaster
	which has some tweaks to prevent diffs on versioning

Compiling takes a bit of work. You kick off that during the night, and
do the install next day.
The upside from that is you get to deviate from what upstream thinks it
should be.

--WjW