Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:06:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mutex/ithread jitters?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Bernd Walter wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:24:50AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > > As Doug mentioned before, leaving the ipl raised would probably be
> > > more efficient that groveling around in the interrupt hardware.  And
> > > it would be nice to not make every platform have to be 100% perfect
> > > wrt to enabling/disabling interrupts...
> >
> > No arguments from me on this one (after all, ahem, I suggested it first!). But
> > I haven't gotten around to breaking free the day or so it will take to do
> > this.
>
> The workaround for the PC164 brokeness should also work on other EV56 and up
> alphas.
> The only unclear thing is if the SRM of that machine supports the needed
> functionality to get access to the pal privileged commands.
> I asume it's worth to test as it's simple to bring in.

We could, but the fact of the matter here is that CSERVE is an undocumented
PAL opcode reserved to Digital (sez the Sites book). I'm really glad you've
added it so the PC164 now works again, but I don't want to grow this approach
further.

There are probably a bunch of other approaches we should take that keep us
within the Alpha public architecture that would be better for us to do.

-matt