Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:27:32 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Juriy Goloveshkin <juriy@avias.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static linked files in /usr/bin

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 09:00:34PM +0400, Juriy Goloveshkin wrote:
> Why a lot of files in /usr/bin(sbin) are static linked?
> for example, tar: static - 272832 bytes(83416 dynamic)

IMO tar should live in /bin as it is used to restore a system from tape.
I don't know why ``dump'' is in /usr/sbin -- only restore should be
there.

/usr/bin/tar is statically linked so it isn't depended on /usr/lib/ which
may be terribly broken (and thus why you are doing a restore).

> is it magic of /usr/src/gnu folder?

Has nothing to do with it.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)