Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 20:28:18 +0100
From:      Claudio Eichenberger <wks@wks.ch>
To:        Johnny.Dang@msmail.unitedway.org
Cc:        FREEBSD-IPFW@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW and NATD--Please help me!

On 2001.03.02 07:47:23, Johnny.Dang@msmail.unitedway.org wrote:
> Hi all,
> First of all, I am sorry if this is wrong mailing list. However, I do
> desparetely need some help here. My name is Johnny Dang. I have been running
> RedHat Linux 6.1, 6.2 and 7.0.... I use it as a
> Router/Firewall/IPMASQUERADING for a small church in Silver Spring... I
> don't want them to pay for Microsoft since they don't make money out of it.
> Anyway, I am getting with the anarchy of Linux so overheard of FreeBSD, I
> decide to subcribce (rather than download for free--I want to keep the
> FreeBSD alive) the 4.2 CDs. To be honest, I am in love with at the first
> moment...I DO NOT WANT TO BACK TO REDHAT....
>
> Like I mention above, I try to reset the new FreeBSD as a
> ROUTER/Firewall/NATD in this case.  I did make the NATD work (all PC in the
> internal now have access to the Internet--eventhough it is a wide opened
> firewall)...The problem I have now is I cannot redirect the traffic from
> outside to the inside. For example, I will have another FreeBSD running WWW
> amd Mail server.  I cannot redirect the tcp port 80, 443, nor 22, 23 to
> another internal PC. I read the NATD manual, and IPFW manual.. Still, I have
> no luck. I read all the FreeBSD diary, other web sites. Still have no luck.
> Can you all help me? I need steps by steps, or any good book about NATD and
> IPFW? Also, should I move to IP-NAT or IP-Filter? Can I use IPFWADM from
> Linux or IPCHAINS? Please help. I try to IP alias last night until 2:00AM
> with no luck... Here is my network:
>
> Internet ------ Free BSD (two NICS)-------------------------->PC 1 (WWW +
> Mail Server)---------PC 2- (telnet)-----Local LAN
> 	       IP1: 123.123.123.123		      IP 192.168.1.2
> IP 192.168.1.5	192.168.1.10-25
> 	       IP2: 192.168.1.1
> 	       IPFIREWALL
> 	       IPDIVERT

I'd configure natd the way that it redirects the connections made onto the ports 80, 443, 22, 25 at the firewall to the internal hosts, like this:

# cat /etc/rc.conf

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="external_NIC"
natd_flags="-s	-redirect_port tcp IP_internal_www_server:80	IP_outside_firewall:80	\
		-redirect_port tcp IP_internal_www_server:443	IP_outside_firewall:443	\
		-redirect_port tcp IP_internal_mail_server:25	IP_outside_firewall:25	\
		-redirect_port tcp IP_internal_ssh_server:22	IP_outside_firewall:22	"