Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:34:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for a Kodak DC290?

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Brian Dean <brdean@mindspring.com> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
>  > I just got a Kodak DC290 camera which uses a USB interface.  It works
>  > great with my Mac and would even be more useful if it would work with
>  > my FreeBSD box.  When I plug it in, it shows up in syslog as:
>  >
>  > Jan 12 20:29:32 vger /kernel: ugen0: Eastman Kodak Company KODAK DC290 Zoom Digital Camera, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
>
> Kodak is using proprietary protocols for their USB cameras.
> The protocol of the DC240 and 280 is publicly available (they
> bought it from a Japanese company who developped it), thus
> oPhoto supports it (http://www.fromme.com/ophoto/).
>
> The DC260, 265 and 290 use a completely different protocol
> from a different company.  So far, I have been unable to get
> the docs.  :-(
>
> You could maybe try a standard serial connection (RS232) and
> the gphoto (it's in the ports), but it will be horribly slow.
> If you have a supported camera, too, (DC240 or 280) you could
> also move the CompactFlash card over to that one and use
> oPhoto to download the pictures via USB...
>
> Or, of course, you could try to ask Kodak for the docs (USB-
> level interface protocol) and write the code yourself.  Using
> oPhoto as a rough framework, it shouldn't be too difficult,
> once you have the docs.  You need to know how to spell ANSI-C,
> though.  :-)

Been spelling it for well over a decade ... not a problem.  Seriously
though, the docs are the crucial component here.  Has anybody been
able to obtain them, either from official sources or by reverse
engineering?  I'm willing to spend some cycles on it, but you really
can't do much without doc of the protocol.

Thanks for any help!

-Brian
--
Brian Dean				brdean@unx.sas.com