Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 14:26:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Hamilton <gandolf@destiny.erols.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help!  FreeBSD won't boot...

Hi.

I'm running FreeBSD-2.2.8-STABLE on a Pentium 120 with 64 MB ram.  / and
/usr on on a 1 GB ide hard drive on the first ide controller.  / is
/dev/wd0s1a, and /usr is /dev/wd0s2e.  The /home and other data partitons
are on other disks.

When I rebooted the PC yesterday to remove a dead floppy drive, FreeBSD
wouldn't boot.  It loads the kernel, fsck's all the filesystems (all are
reported clean), and then dies with:

mount: /dev/wd0s1a on /: Operation not permitted.

It leaves me in single-user mode with a read only / filesystem.  I tried
mounting other filesystems, such as /usr, but I get the same error.  I
also manually fsck'd all systems, but it still won't mount them.

What would cause this, and how do I fix it?

Please reply to me - I'm not on the mailing list.

Thanks.

Jeff Hamilton
gandolf@destiny.erols.com