Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 96 11:40:51 EDT
From:      dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu (Dayton Clark)
To:        Justin.glazner@access.gov
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 8088 version of FreeBSD

<.> Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 21:58:36 -0700
<.> X-Personal_Name: Justin Glazner
<.> From: Justin.glazner@access.gov
<.>
<.> Does a version of FreeBSD exist for an 8088, 8086, or 80286 processor? As my 386 bought the farm last month,
<.> I have been wanting to change to Unix but cannot due to the fact that all of
<.> it is for a 386 or better! This _SUCKS_...if not is there anywhere I can get
<.> a copy of it?
<.>
<.> JG
<.>

There was (is) a 16-bit Unix from  Mark Williams.  The name was (is)
Coherent.  I installed it several years ago and it was quite nice for
what it was.  HOWEVER, you are not going to get a "real" Unix without
a 32 bit machine without memory management, supervisor mode,
etc. which do not exists on the pre 386 machines (the 286 has these
features partially).

dayton