Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 11:31:34 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for modem recommendation

"Christopher R. Bowman" wrote:

> I am looking for a recommendation or any comments any of you might have regarding 56K modems.  Specifically I am looking for a 56K PCI or ISA modem which will only run under FreeBSD.  If you have comments or suggestion either pro or con about any specific modem please email them directly to me and I will summarize to the list if it seems appropriate.

Don't buy PCI because most of them are WinModems and FreeBSD doesn't
support them. You always want to check the hardware list before your
purchase any pc hardware. You don't end up with non-working junk. It
may work with Windows and FreeBSD or vice versa but check first.

I personally use USR Sportster's because my ISP uses USR modems. I
have always found that modems talk to the same type of modem a little
bit better than to another modem from a different vendor. Find out
what your ISP uses.

Kent

> --------
> Christopher R. Bowman