Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 01:34:44 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fifos and sockets

R Joseph Wright wrote:

> I copied the contents of /var to /usr/var using tar.  Then I did
> # diff -r /var /usr/var
>
> It says this:
> # File /var/run/log is a socket while /usr/var/run/log is a fifo
>
> What is a fifo?  And how do I create a socket for /usr/var/run/log?

Did you try this in multi-user mode or did you boot single user and
mount before you did the tar. There are things in use when you are
still in multi-user. For example, I have a /var/run/internet local
domain socket that is open when I have user-ppp running. You can't
copy something like that with tar. It didn't start in single user
mode.

A FIFO is First In First Out. Some terms like this are explained in
the Jargon file from the ports. You can also look expressions like the
story about the use of a "dead chicken".

I moved /var out of / in single user mode. There somethings that can
go wild and will chew up /var. When you have it soft linked to /usr,
it will be /usr that you fill up.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA