Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS hanging in 2.2.6-RELEASE

On 7 Apr 1998, stephen farrell wrote:

> Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu> writes:
>
> > I've got a new ThinkPad 770 with a 3Com 3C589D installed and running
> > 2.2.6-RELEASE.  The installation was totally painless (thanks to all of
> > you!).  It's on the net and I can telnet and ftp without a hitch but I've
> > run into a problem with NFS.  I can mount disks served by our NFS servers
> > (either Auspex or FreeBSD running -current) but when I try to copy files
> > from the laptop to the servers it'll copy a few megabytes and then all
> > network traffic stops completely and the machine is not pingable.  I
> > cannot Ctrl-C out of the NFS cpio operation but I can still use other
> > windows on the machine just fine everything seems quite responsive.
> > netstat -m, nfsstat, and systat -vmstat don't seem to show anything
> > unusual.  Pstat shows the cpio process that I was using stuck in state
> > "D".  cp and tar also behave this way.  I have also explicitly mounted in
> > NFSv2 mode but this didn't help.  I have included output of dmesg and my
> > kernel config file below in case this helps.  Let me know what other
> > information might help.   Oh, this just in...  ftp also hangs in this way
> > as well -- it just get a little further along before it does.  Anyone have
> > any clues about this one?
>
> TCP or UDP?  Try doing a udp mount if you're doing it tcp now.  Any
> other mount options that you are using?
>
> --
>
> Steve Farrell

I didn't use any mount options (except when I experimented with NFSv3
vs. NFSv2) so I assume mount_nfs automatically negotiated UDP to
the Auspex and TCP to the -current machine.

To update the status of my progress further:

  Today I installed PAO and it's kernel which is based on 2.2.5-RELEASE.
So now my 3C589D is using the ep driver instead of the zp driver and
ShaZam!  It works perfectly now!  So it definitely looks like a problem in
2.2.6-RELEASE, perhaps with the zp driver (since, as I said above I
discovered the problem exists in ftp as well and thus is not unique to
NFS).  Does any one know if it's possible to apply the PAO patches to the
2.2.6-RELEASE kernel?  I'll try it anyhow and see for myself.  This might
help to narrow down where the problem is in 2.2.6.

I'll follow-up with a report of my progress in this area...

Thanks for your help,

Tom