Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:25:33 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Emerson Longley <emerson@WPI.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making the all-important switch

On Saturday, 25 January 2003 at  0:27:38 -0500, Scott Emerson Longley wrote:
> I'm about ready to ditch Windoze for good and I'm spending what little
> free time I can find to prepare by researching FreeBSD. Currently, I run
> two OpenBSD servers and use a 3rd OpenBSD system (a laptop) as a portable
> terminal. I have 3 years of *nix (OpenBSD, true64, linux) experience, but
> only one years experience as an administrator (OpenBSD). My main desktop
> system is W2k and I am sick and tired of it. I have decided to replace W2k
> with FreeBSD, as it is more suited to desktop use than OpenBSD. Now that
> I'm done babbling, here's my question:

Interesting question.  What makes you think that FreeBSD is more
suited to the desktop than OpenBSD?

> What major differences will I encounter (post-install) as a new FreeBSD
> user/administrator that my OpenBSD experience wouldn't have prepared me
> for?

It's difficult to quantify what differences you're likely to see.
Installation will probably seem easier.  You'll find different device
names for disks.  On the whole, I think the important differences
you'll find will be with the "desktop" software you choose, and
they'll be differences from Microsoft, not from OpenBSD.

Greg