Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:06:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        dev.random@dev.random.nu
Cc:        Alexander Indenbaum <baum@abirnet.co.il>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk is broken

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 dev.random@dev.random.nu wrote:

> If you read CVS, bsd.port.mk was changed by asami on Janurary 2nd to check
> for old versions of TCL, rather then checking the version of TCL, it just
> checks to see if TCL is installed in (Asami's words) "the old place" <read
> in: default location for all TCL, except for added by the new
> ports/packages>.

If you have Tcl installed in /usr/include and /usr/lib, ports
cannot be expected to work reliably.  If you have an old Tcl from
the ports system installed in /usr/local/include and
/usr/local/lib, ports cannot be expected to work reliably.  If
you have tcl.h anywhere in any of the include path, ports cannot
be expected to work reliably.

When Satoshi sent the patches out for everyone to review before
committing them, it occurred to me to suggest that the check be
made less forcefully, perhaps only when the port being built
actually uses Tcl, and I accept the blame for not suggesting
this, but the simple fact is that the Tcl ports are not expected
to know that the Tcl they find in /usr[/local]/include cannot be
used.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk