Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 02:49:02 -0700
From:      Dan Carlson <carlsond@rohan.sdsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   make errors

Hi my name is Dan and I'm new to the unix world.  I recently setup a
FreeBSD system on a deditcated system.  I wanted to enable some of the
functions, so I decided I would try and build a custom kernel.  I had an
inconsistent problem when using the make commands. First I tried to
compile my custom kernel.  The config ECCENTRIX seemed to work fine and
so did the make depend.  When I got to the make command it gave me an
error.  I tried to see if anything looked wrong in the configuration
file, but it looked good to me.  At a curiosity, I tried compiling the
GENERIC kernel just to see if it would work.  The first time I tried
doing it, I received an internal compiling error with the "make depend"
command.  The second time it made it passed the "make depend" command,
but gave me the same error as the ECCENTRIX custom kernel during the
"make" command:

DKERNEL  ../../kern/kern_lkm.c
In file included from ioconf.h:9,
                 from machine/conf.h:6,
                 from ../../sys/conf.h:226,
                 from ../../kern/kern_lkm.c:41:
../../i386/isa/isa_device.h:141: parse error before ``'
*** Error code 1

  I would greatly appreciate if you could help me figure out the
problem.  I attached my custom kernel to this email so you could verify
that it is configured right. Thanks for your time.

    Sincerely,
    Daniel Carlson