Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 21:31:04 +0100
From:      "Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3" <andras.tudos@computronic.hu>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Scalable mail server

Hello,

we have to scale our qmail based mail server (with a custom made www
frontend) to multiple machines to be able to serve ~100000 users and more.
Currently we have a single server based heavily overloaded system with
30000+ users. We have many plans, but I would prefer to hear how others
would start to construct such a system. We build all the machines ourselfs
(including PII based PCs, RAID, network) and write the necessary code.

All ideas, especially real world experiences are warmly welcome...
(Especially file-system, user database and redundancy issues are critical.
Would you use SMP with dual PIIs or 2.2.5? NFS issues? Postgres instead of
passwd? Round-robin DNS or something else?)

Andras Tudos & Istvan Pecsenyanszky
C3, Budapest