Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 06:58:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weird POPPER Problems

Ok..  I may have send this out before, but since my mail is acting weird I
thought that I would try again.

Running POPPER  in 3.2-RELEASE, the client gets the message that popper
cannot open the temporary file..."do you own it?"  I am assuming that
POPPER is having a problem with /var/mail/.[user].pop and some privilege is
not being set right.

The mail server is a NIS secondary server and client and is automounting
(amd) the /var/mail from an NFS server (as do all my hosts).

Has anyone seen this problem before ... I am assuming that it is a problem
with NIS and the way that I have /var/mail shared across the network. Is
there a better way?

For the time being, I have reset my domains so that the pop mail host is
the NFS server (for whom /var/mail is local) and that is woking for a
temporary fix. This server works pretty hard and the service needs to be
moved eventually.

Peace,
Blake