Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:33:00 +0900
From:      "David Banning" <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dsl modem suggestions

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:53:34 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you
> >In my case, my DSL provider -sold- me the modem, but he also said that
> >I didn't have to get it from him. He said I could use -any- brand that
> >I wanted. Given your explanation, that would be "any modem as long as
> >it falls within such-and-such parameters."
> >

> It might just be a bad unit, or you dont have the right amount of phone
> filters or the filters are in the wrong place. We (an ISP) have used
> Alcatel, Efficient, Daewoo and g.net, Cisco and by far the lowest return
> rate we have had are with the GVC/Gnets.

I have talked to GVC tech support about this. I operate in MPoA bridged
mode and my unix box connects with ppp. They say that PPPoe mode
is a better mode because the modem stores the logon and password in
memory and handles it's own ppp connection. If that is the case I don't
know how to connect to the modem and GVC tech support is lost here because
they don't know unix.