Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:18:35 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> I was just wondering something. I know this updates the ports but what I want to know is what "EXACTLY" does this command do in a little more detailed answers but simple enough to understand. The command is this
>
> cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup2.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

For exact information, do a "man cvsup".

Your question is very similar to asking what a shell script does and
then only provide the name of the script. Cvsup does not update your
ports. It only updates the port data structure. It also only updates
the structures you have provided in your ports-supfile, which you
didn't list. When you have cvsup updated the port-structure, you can
cd into the directory of a port and then make and install port. Some
of this behaviour depends on the file /usr/ports/INDEX. This file is
updated infrequently and many of us update the ports with a shell
script that also "cd /usr/ports" and does a "make index". When your
INDEX file has also been updated, your port structure is truly
current. For example, my uports looks like

ruby# cat uports
#! /bin/sh
cd /root/cvsup
cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile 2>&1 | tee /var/log/build/ports_cvsup.log

cd /var/log/build

# Now convert the log to html`
cvsuplog < ports_cvsup.log > ports-`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.html

# Now update the index pages.
portsdb -Uu

I use the portupgrade set of tools and need both INDEX and INDEX.db
updated. I also want an html version of the changes, which is what
cvsuplog does for me. Since I upgrade the INDEX files everytime I
cvsup, I have added ports/INDEX into my ports-all refuse file. There
is no reason to update something that will be immediately replaced.

> Thanks.

> E-Mail: Bryan Cassidy <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>
> Operating System: FreeBSD 4.6.2
> GAIM: bsdsys
> Yahoo Messenger: bsdsys
>
> I have put alot of time in setting up my mail filters so please do not
> just Reply-To: <bryanc2000@insightbb.com> Reply to the mailing
> lists. This is very annoying for me.

Actually replying to you this way is too much trouble. If you want
people to not copy you, then you should have your reply-to as the
list. The usual choice in the mailers is reply, which is to only you,
or reply-all, which includes the list.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart