Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2013 08:24:02 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        "Zyumbilev, Peter" <peter@aboutsupport.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add and 9.1 Release

On 02/01/2013 08:00, Zyumbilev, Peter wrote:
> In this case for a new Nas4free machine, will you recommend to base it
> on 9.0 or 9.1 ?

Either.  Whichever one works best for you, and if you can't distinguish
them on performance or bug-fixes, choose 9.1.

However, don't fall into the trap of thinking 'because I'm running OS
version 9.0 I have to use the binary packages for 9.0.'  You don't.  And
in fact, if it's more than a month or so since the OS was released, you
should be checking for updates.

Unfortunately, since the security problem, there haven't been updates to
package sets for *any* OS versions available.  So your best recourse is
to pull down a copy of the ports tree and build what packages you need
for yourself.  This is time consuming, but not particularly difficult.

	Cheers,

	Matthew