Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:37:40 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>, "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-XFree86] Re: FW: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile  Makefile.man pkg-plist pkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 por

Will Andrews wrote:

> [ taking -stable off the Cc: list since that was supposed to be ]
> [  for announcement purposes                                    ]
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:02:40AM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Another slightly different approach is to select one central port,
> > say XFree86-4-libraries, which would build *all* of XFree86-4,
> > make other components depend on completion of the build target of
> > that port and install their portion of XFree86-4 from the central
> > port's WRKSRC. This approach has many advantages compared to the
> > current one:
>
> That's a good idea, I guess.
>
> > - All patches are gathered in one location;
>
> This is already true.
>
> > - updating of the port to a new version is much simpler - you only need
> >   to update central port and adjust pkg-plist's of all other components.
> >   No need to perform 9 separate updates.
>
> Well, the way they tie together is a little complicated.  Every
> part has different needs, and these are reflected in their
> Makefiles and configure scripts.
>
> > The only disadvantage is that when the user only needs one component
> > he still have to run the full build of XFree86-4, but from my own
> > experience this is quite unlikely situation, because most users will
> > just install metaport and forget about it until new XFree86-4 version
> > is released.
> >
> > I would like to hear what FreeBSD XFree86 team think about it.
>
> I agree that most people would usually just install all of
> XFree86, so perhaps your approach doesn't suck that much.
>
> However, it does have the disadvantage that it will hurt bento.
> One of the optimizations of this was that you didn't have to
> build everything in XFree86 to get what most ports needed: libs.
> Hmm, I guess the -libraries package wouldn't change so untarring
> it will be the same, but it does add a little time if every
> XFree86-4-* package has to build the entire thing.
>
> I think it's better if they just share a WRKDIR and do a 'clean'
> then build their part of XFree86.  I'm still waiting for a patch.
> But I'm willing to listen to other ideas/suggestions.

Ok, just tried to feed some ideas in. I glad to see that XFree86 team
is concerned about excessive disk space now needed to build XFree86-4
metaport and plans to fix the problem soon one way or another, because
this is what I really care about, not particular way you would select
to achieve that goal.

-Maxim