Date:      25 Jun 1999 18:26:28 +0200
From:      Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bt848 channel frequencies

Chris Doherty <cdoherty@nttmcl.com> writes:
> this in particular (at least in the US, especially as telecom
> deregulation has ever-greater effect) is a difficult task at best,
> with multiple cable companies in the same area (occasionally
> overlapping) and coverage areas being not necessarily contiguous;
> also the same company will have different channel lineups in
> different geographical areas that are sometimes close together.

I didn't mean that there will be a one-to-one mapping from
geographical location to frequency-set, only that the frequency-sets
should have names that suggest where in the world (and possibly cable
provider etc.) they are likely to apply.

The basic idea is that any one user is likely to use a small number
(one or two) frequency-sets, and that many (thousands) other people
likely will use the same sets.

How about if every frequency-set is associated with (at minimum) tags
that identify country, city, type (antenna/cable) and provider. This
way a user/application can make simple queries in order to find his
frequency-set quickly.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld