Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:05:19 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <ivan.roth@free.fr>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: trouble installing new printer

Hi Ivan,

  OK I hope this isn't going to sound to nasty but I'm going to
say it anyway.

  Did it ever occur to you that it might have been a better idea to
post to the mailing list and ask what a good printer to buy would
be BEFORE buying this printer?  There are websites specifically
http://www.linuxprinting.org that are set up for this - your Canon
isn't even listed on that one.  Why - because nobody buys Canon
printers that use them under FreeBSD or Linux - and the reason is
pretty clearly stated on this page here:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

"...There are few good free software drivers for Canon and Lexmark
inkjets. Do not buy one and expect success..."

  In short, you gave your money to a company that hasn't lifted a finger
to support any Open Source operating systems - and you didn't give your
money to a printer manufacturer who has spent money supporting Open
Source operating systems.  Now, please explain how doing this is going
to encourage more support of Open Source operating systems by printer
manufacturers?

  Also one other thing - according to this website:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/printers/bubble_jet/archiv
e.asp

  your printer is no longer in production.  If you just bought this
printer you got it from a closeout bargain basement dealer for a
cheap closeout price.  It is not like you have a lot of money invested
in this printer, then.

  My advice to you is you need to treat this as a fairly cheap but
important lesson on purchasing computer peripherals.  I would also
point out that just about all inkjet printers are designed as devices
that force the user to spend a lot of money on inkjet cartridges.
Your cost per page from this printer will be -far higher- than that
of a decent laser printer, and if you do any amount of black and
white printing your going to save money if you get a black and white
printer and save the bubble jet for printing color, only.  Even a
dot-matrix would be far cheaper.

  Beyond this the only other thing I can offer you is that if you are
using the parallel port to the printer you might try the USB port
instead.  I can't guarantee it will work at all, but USB is faster
than parallel.  a LOT faster.

Ted