Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 10:30:20 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Keyboard troubles

>On my -current system, after rebooting, the keyboard was in a funny state
>(all 4 LEDs were turned on.  My keyboard also has an internal click
>mechanism, which was no longer functional)  I plugged the keyboard into
>another machine at that point, and it reset itself and worked fine on that
>machine.  Plugging it back into the -current box, however, produced the
>same results as before.
>
>Fearing incompatibility, I dug out an old AT keyboard and plugged it
>in.  No LEDs lit, and also no response from keypresses  (including the
>obvious escape characters).
>
>The machine didn't hang... console message were still being displayed.  I
>ended up rebooting the thing remotely, and after that, the keyboard
>functioned normally.
>
>If somebody can tell me what else to check, I can try and provide a few
>mroe details.

It sounds like the keyboard interface of your motherboard has somewhat
become flaky; it may even be broken.

It is NOT recommended that you attach or detach the keyboard while the
power is on.  The keyboard interface of the PC motherboard is not
designed for hot-plugging/unplugging.  It is too easy to fry the
keyboard interface and/or controller by doing so.

Even if the keyboard interface survives hot-plugging, there is no
assurance that the keyboard and the keyboard controller on the
motherboard can communicate properly after hot-plugging; they are
simply not designed to cope with such situation.

I personally know a couple of people who broke their motherboard this
way.

Kazu