Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 1995 10:57:59 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com, nate@trout.sri.mt.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, terry@cs.weber.edu
Subject:   Re: Slight flame from Linux user

>Check out:
>http://www.CS.Princeton.EDU/software/lcc/
>for more info on lcc (it supports both sparcs and i386...

*sigh*

Nate knows about this, I know about this, most (if not all) of the freebsd
core team knows about it.

A simple reading of the license would show you that lcc is MORE restrictive
than gcc.

Yeah, it's smaller, and, yeah, it compiles faster.  And, yeah, it generates
worse code.  And, yeah, it's got a lint version which would be useful -- but
I won't touch it.

Unless they've changed the license recently, which I suspect they haven't,
you don't want to use lcc at all.  In particular, Walnut Creek CD-ROM
(or any other entity that sells FreeBSD, either as itself, or just on media)
doesn't want to get into that legal mess.

lcc is a *fine* instructional compiler, and you can go out and buy a copy of
the LCC Book (something about "Compiler Design," I think).  But don't think
that it's a replacement for gcc.

Sean.