Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:08:22 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <webmaster@zwb.net>
To:        Beck <toyz@lcc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to download FreeBSD (was: How to download?)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO ANYTHING UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
READ THE FAQ AND HANDBOOK THOURELY! (just the installation part) YOU HAVE
BEEN WARNED!

Please read all of this message, the FAQ and handbook at www.freebsd.org
BEFORE doing anything!

For starters, I think you're better off buying the CD.  However, if you're
like me, and want to do it that hard way, download the following files to a
working DOS/Junkows machine:

utilities/fdimage.exe
floppies/boot.flp
bin/*

these are relative to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE and
they not be exact paths.  Use fdimage to make a boot floppy from boot.flp.

Now, choose one of these:

1)  copy the files bin/* to a DOS partition (NOT FAT32!)
2)  copy the files to a disk

since I never got the first way to work, I can't tell you much about it.
If you chose 2, copy the files to a directory named "bin" at the root of
the floppy.  Make sure that the files bin.inf and install.sh are on the 1st
floppy.  Boot from the install floppy, and follow the instructions on
screen.  Note, that you cannot select all the packages/dists you want!  You
only downloaded the 'bin' dist, which is the absolute minimum.  You will be
able to install more dists/packages later.

If you want ANY data on your hard drive, back it up!  The installation
program will warn you, but it warns you about so many things that I ignored
most of its warnings.  If you still want to keep Junkows on your PC, either
buy a hard drive, use fips, make another partition, ...

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! [:-]

If what I told you above sound too complex or dangerous, you're alot better
off buying the CD.

Have fun!  ;-)

P.S.  If you don't understand something, ask us again.  Don't just go on
with the installation, and then complain that the program screwed up your
computer.

At 03:52 AM 4/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>How do I go about downloading FreeBsd?
>I do not understand your online instructions.
>I go to the ftp but never get anything downloaded.
>HELP!!!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO ANYTHING UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
READ THE FAQ AND HANDBOOK THOURELY! (just the installation part) YOU HAVE
BEEN WARNED!

---
Thanks!
Dima Dorfman

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981 - Bill Gates
Micro$oft $ucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/