Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:39:57 +0200
From:      Pawel Malachowski <pawmal-posting@freebsd.lublin.pl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPTP/PPPoE mpd/poptop performance

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:29:25PM +0300, Petri Helenius wrote:

> Although I'm not expert on mpd, I couldn't resist mentioning that not
> all MHz are created equal and you probably achieve more performance
> difference by carefully choosing a well performing NIC than the absolute
> MHz on the box.

As I said, we are talking about 5-10Mbit bandwith, NIC performance is not
so important (however, I use fxp(4) and dc(4) everywhere:)).
In this case, CPU power may be quite significant because of encryption.
That's why I'm looking for feedback from sysadmins of PPTP or PPPoE hubs
utilizong mpd or poptop, working in production environment.
Just to know, what can I expect from my old Celeron 300MHz etc., before
I decide to touch this. :)

--
Paweł Małachowski