Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:45:00 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting wi and wicontrol under control

"Richard S. Conto" <rsc@merit.edu> probably said:
> When I tried to use a Lucent/Agere/Orinoco Gold 802.11b card with
> encryption turned on, it choked.  I couldn't use 128 bit encryption,
> and when I tried 40 bit encryption, I got long delays and lots of
> retransmitted packets with a throughput of an ancient 300 baud/bps modem.

> If you search around, you'll see some comments about how the
> interface to this card isn't published, except through some simple
> minded API (that the "wi" code was based on.)  Someone has worked
> with Lucent/Orinoco/Agere to get encryption working, but hasn't been
> able to release it due to licensing issues.

Uh, excuse me ?

Some of us have been using 128bit encryption with Lucent gold cards,
freebsd and the wi driver for a couple of years. Your information is
vasly out of date and grossly incorrect.

> I suspect you'll have to run without encryption.

False.

> The War-Drivers will love you.  MAC address filtering won't help
> much. It's sort of like closing the door without locking it. (Not
> that 802.11b/WEP is all that secure anymore.

WEP is useful as a first step, it should not be trusted as real
encryption.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu