Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:45:27 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <michael@tenzo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Naming ethernet NICs

Let me point out that with regular PC hardware, you can't replace a NIC with
a different type without taking the server offline.  Once you do that, all
of the benefits of "transparent reconfiguration" are basically lost.

In any case, even if you do it differently and make everything "eth0, eth1,
etc. and so on, then how do you determine what physical card in the system
goes with what port?

To give you an example, recently I built a router on a 486 with 5 separate
nics in them.  Every NIC in the router is the same, (SMC8013) and
thus I had ed0, ed1, ed2, etc.  On bootup, I still had to test each port to
determine which physical card went to what ed.