Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:23:15 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small Hard Drive Installation

On Wednesday, 21 October 1998 at 12:42:05 -0400, Charles A. Peters wrote:
> I have a small hard disk drive (80MB) that I would
> like to install freebsd on.  This machine will be used
> as a dialout/dialup gateway using ppp -auto -alial
> ispname.  This machine will also have one network card
> and one 56k Modem, and 8MB of RAM.
>
> I need to know approximately how I should slice up my
> drives, and which partitions are required.  Please
> comment on the following partitioning scheme:
>
> 	Part		Mount		Size	Newfs		Part		Mount		Size	Newfs
> 	-----------	-----------	-----	-----------	-----------
> 	-----------	-----	------
> 	wd0s1a	/		10	UFS Y
> 	wd0s1b	<none>	10	SWAP
> 	wd0s1e	/usr		30	UFS Y
> 	wd0s1f	/var		30	UFS Y
>

> How much space is required on each partition to
> complete a minimal installation via ftp?

Don't even start to think of multiple partitions on a drive this size.
The only problem you're going to have is deciding how much swap to
use.  10 MB is not much.

> I have attempted to configure the same type of system using PicoBSD,
> but have had no luck,

What problems did you have?

> If I use a 386SX-33 with 4MB of ram to build this
> router/gateway, will this system be quick enough to
> service a network with 10 Windoze 95 boxes browsing
> the internet, and using email.

Well, the limiting factor will be the modem.  I don't think the
hardware would be a problem.  I know of one system running on a
386DX-20 which is doing this job quite happily, along with mail, name
and web servers.  But it needs more swap for that.

Greg