Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2011 21:35:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25 (solved)

> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 11:03:26 -0700
> From: ssgriffonuser <ssgriffonuser@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25 (solved)

[[..  sneck  ..]]

>             However, I also learned that my home ISP blocks outbound
> traffic on port 25 (I thought it only blocked inbound) so I could not
> telnet to port 25 on my VPS. I want to say thanks again for all the
> comments and help.

Note:  Blocking _outbound_ traffic to 'port 25' (except for the provider-
operated mail-server) is -very- common for residential ("eyeball"-based)
networks.  It prevents virtually all "bot"-originated spam from going
anywhere.  Blocking _inbound_ traffic to 'port 25' is *very* rare. If you
just want to _receive_ mail directly, the ISP generally "doesn't care".