Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:52:40 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd behavior of labels on different filesystem types

> Sender: "J. Hellenthal" <jhellenthal@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 13:58:30 -0400
> From: jhell <jhell@dataix.net>
>
> On 07/04/2010 12:15, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> Sender: "J. Hellenthal" <jhellenthal@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 01:55:20 -0400
> >> From: jhell <jhell@dataix.net>

> >> Can you try to zero out that disk first i.e.
> >> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/DISK bs=4m
> >>
> >> Then format your msdos fat part and relabel it. You should not see a
> >> dev/ufsid/ label for this anymore. I believe that for some reason the
> >> ufsid metadata or whatever you want to call it some how has been left
> >> behind and is still being read for whatever reason and can be confirmed
> >> by this.
> >>
> >> As for /dev/ufs/LABEL /dev/ufsid/ID /dev/device when you mount one the
> >> others should disapear so this is correct behavior.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. I will try a device which has never had a UFS
> > file system and see if the ufsid device is created. Looks like the
> > former is an issue with geom tasting and it would be nice to get it
> > fixed, but it is not what is causing my problem. It is the latter issue
> > that causes the problems with gnome-mount.
> >
> > The real issue for me is that /dev/ufs/LABEL is removed on a mount while
> > /dev/msdosfs/LABEL remains. hald easily works around ufsid by ignoring
> > it, but the /dev/FS/LABEL has to be acted upon differently depending on
> > which filesystem is involved.
>
> Do you use those labels for anything ? if not, I worked around this
> while I used gnome for a period with devfs.rules(5) example follows.
>
> rc.conf(5) add devfs_system_ruleset="your_system"
>
> [your_system=10]
> add path 'ufsid'	hide
> add path 'msdosfs'	hide
> add path 'ufs'		hide
> add path 'iso9660'	hide
> add path 'reiserfs'	hide
> add path 'ntfs'		hide
> add path 'ext2fs'	hide
> add path 'gpt'		hide
>
> And you can do the same for the actual devices that you use a label for,
> so mounting devices like daN can just be done from /dev/label/LABEL.
>
> add path 'da0'		hide # Do this only after it is labeled.
> add path 'label/DA0LABEL' mode 0600 user jhell group jhell
>
> With a little toying of the above you should get the desired effect you
> want in gnome. I do find it frustrating having to resort to using only
> generic labels for situations like this and believe firmly that the
> generic label should take precedence over all labels except gpt & ufsid
> and result in the other name-brand labels disappearing not causing this
> frustration to happen. Having the multiple layers of labels available
> IMO is cause for confusion.
>
> Final note before I stretch this out like the Armstrong figurine ;),
> there was a case where I was using the module instead of having
> GEOM_LABEL option built into the kernel, this being loaded after the
> machine was already booted caused some strange results with the labels
> [...]

Thanks. It worked...and it didn't help. Something else in Gnome2.30 is
triggering this, I guess. The disk now mounts as /dev/da0s1d, just like
it should, but it is still re-mounting as soon as I unmount it. This is
a problem for ufs disks, but not for FAT. Since most people are
probably using this for mounting thumb drives which are almost always
FAT, I guess it has not been seen too much.

Guess it's time to take this to the gnome list.

Thanks again.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)