Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:21:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        simple <simple@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: All Wierd and Pissed Off...

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, simple wrote:

> Okay, I'm pretty new to FreeBSD (Unix) in general.  I need to have root
> access to my server from a telnet session because I am not always in
> front of the computer, but, well, I think I've found a new love... I
> think everyone on this list will understand this love.

Understood.

> When I try to login to my server as root, it tells me that the login is
> incorrect.  I've also tried to login as a normal user and then rlogin as
> root (this works for Red Hat 5.1).  I've double and triple checked the
> password I'm typing in is correct.

Telnet to the machine, and login as yourself.  Then type ``su''.  This
will prompt you for root's password.  Once you successfully enter it, you
will be root.  This "no telnet to machine as root" is a good security
precaution...one that RedHat should use.

> Now, secondly, like I said I'm new to this stuff.
>
> Is there a way to list all of the user accounts that have been created.
>
> With FTP access built into FreeBSD, is it possible to limit the person
> to only the FTP directory and sub-directories beneath that?

Check out the wu-ftpd port in /usr/ports/net.  This ftp server is quite
powerful, and can be configured to do what you want.

> And lastly, I installed one of the POP3 e-mail servers in the ports
> section c-something, I don't know.  What is the generally used e-mail
> package used for POP3 stuff?  I've tried to send e-mail to it using the
> ip-number (because I don't have a domain registered) and it didn't
> work.  Is there something I have to do on the FreeBSD end of it, or do I
> merely need a domain name?  and if I need a domain name, will the
> whatever.home.ml.org (ml.org) domains work?

I have used qpopper and wu-imapd (the pop daemon only).  Both worked well,
and both have their drawbacks.  I guess it's up to you.

> -Happy Man
>  -Douglas L. Setzer, II
>   Computer Creations

Joe Clarke