Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:08:18 -0400
From:      Julio Merino <jmmv@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mac Mini G4 displays black screen on install boot

Hi all,

I recently installed 10.0-RELEASE (and later upgraded to
10.1-PRERELEASE) on a Mac Mini G4. Both worked just fine: the kernel
properly detected the DVI-attached 24" screen and selected the
1920x1200 native resolution.

However, I just tried to boot an 11.0-CURRENT snapshot installation
image (20140903-r270990) and things are very different. The kernel
loaded just fine from the OpenFirmware prompt, but then the screen
went completely black and the machine apparently locked up (the
keyboard is unresponsive; not even caps lock works).

I suspect this is because of the new console code but I have no proof of it.

Has anyone successfully used newcons on a Mini G4? Any ideas on how to
debug this?

Thanks!