Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:26:02 +0100
From:      Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recently happend kernel panics regarding usb

Am 25.01.2009 um 11:12 schrieb Oliver Lehmann:

> I'm experiencing recently happend kernel panics while making bacula
> backups on my external USB harddisk. It first happened some days ago
> while I was running 6.4-PRERLEASE. I then updated to 6.4-STABLE and
> enabled all the kernel debugging stuff.

Looking at your screenshots, I'm getting plenty of these g_vfs_done()
= 5 errors with an ordinary pen drive on various stages of stable/7
as well. The pen drive works flawlessly on other computers. Same for
another pen drive I tried for verification.

If you throw the EHCI driver out of the kernel your drive will use
either OHCI or UHCI (both are slow). This seems to help, at least for
the limited things I use this pen drive now.

The good thing is, you obviously had a FreeBSD installation which
worked fine with USB 2.0 drives. This would be a good starting point
for the search of a fix. Any chance you can get back to that state?

If the panics appeared without any change on the system, could you
stress test this drive a little on another computer?

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/