Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 02:59:35 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum (was Re: Software RAID)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:54:52 +0930, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>On Thursday, 10 September 1998 at  0:16:29 +0000, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:27:49 +0930, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
>> you wrote:

>>> Vinum will replace ccd.
>>
>> Would you say its ready for prime time in for example a new server
>> environment ?
>
>Good question.  The current state is still "alpha", and there's a lot
>of stuff that still needs to be written, and other parts haven't been
>tested to my satisfaction: for example, I'm not convinced that
>recovering defective volumes on line works correctly in all cases.
>It compares favourably to ccd, though: in ccd, if a you have a drive
>failure, you have to modify your ccd config and reboot before you can
>access a mirrored pair again.  Vinum handles this transparently.

Alpha,beta, release code are all relative terms... Working both in the
NT world where "release code" is closer to a lot of 'beta' code in the
FreeBSD world, I am willing to try :-)

>As far as reliability goes, a number of people have been using it
>heavily for a month now, and I haven't had any problem reports in that
>time (I *have* had reports of "works fine, no problems").

The main use would be on my news server spool... Although a real drag
if the spool barfs, its not really the end of the world since it
doesnt take long to fill up the drives again.  I guess my main issue
is that if I do hit a bad sector, do I have to blow away the whole
spool ?

>> Also, on my news server I have a few drives that are of different
>> make and model.  Last time I looked at ccd it was not reccomended to
>> try and stripe drives of different sizes and performance specs.
>
>Hmm.  I can't think why not.

I dont recall the reasons either, but that generally seemed to be the
consensus looking through old threads on ccd configuration and news
servers from last year.

>> Also, how well does vinum cope with disk errors.  I have one fuji
>> thats somewhat prone to them...

.
.
>this problem, but due to the kernel structure it's relatively complex.
>I'd expect it to be in by the end of the year, though.

Hmmm.. I might wait a bit... Although not optimal, my multiple
partition schemes seem to do the job for now.  When I add another 8
gig drive to the new one I just added last week, I will perhaps try it
then as there should not be any errors on these 2 drives any time
soon.

Thanks,

	---Mike